NEW YORK, February 23, 2018 – The NYU School of Professional Studies (NYUSPS) Schack Institute of Real Estate REIT Center will host the 23rd Annual REIT Symposium at The Pierre in New York City on Tuesday, March 20. The full-day conference, titled “Opportunities in the Age of #Disruption,” will bring together the industry’s most prominent decision makers for a critical examination of the forces that are shaping the REIT sector at this unprecedented time for the American economy.
The keynote speaker this year will be Timothy J. Naughton, chairman and chief executive officer of AvalonBay Communities. The program also will feature a luncheon address and book signing with Sam Zell, chairman of Equity Group Investments; a one-on-one with Mike Kirby, chairman of Green Street Advisors; as well as in-depth panel discussions with more than 40 of the industry’s leading CEOs, bankers, lawyers, analysts, and investors. More than 500 industry professionals attend the Symposium each year and are active participants in the day’s discussion and debate.
“As in previous years, we have an extraordinary line-up of industry thought-leaders who will help us make sense of the evolving REIT environment and identify emerging opportunities during a time of great volatility and disruption,” asserted Sam Chandan, Larry & Klara Silverstein Chair in Real Estate Development and Investment, and associate dean of the NYUSPS Schack Institute of Real Estate.
To register for the NYUSPS Schack REIT Symposium, please visit sps.nyu.edu/reit.
If you are a member of the press who wishes to cover the event, please contact Alka Gupta at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For inquiries about sponsorship opportunities, please contact Sonal Pande at email@example.com or call 212-998-6961.
FULL PANEL LIST
Welcome and Opening Remarks
- SAM CHANDAN, PhD FRICS, Larry & Klara Silverstein Chair In Real Estate Development and Investment, and Associate Dean, NYUSPS Schack Institute of Real Estate
- ADAM O. EMMERICH, Partner, Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
- TIMOTHY J. NAUGHTON, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, AvalonBay Communities
REITs and PROPTECH: Understanding the Seismic Shift Underway
- MATTHEW J. LUSTIG, Head of Investment Banking, North America, and Head of Real Estate & Lodging, Lazard [Moderator]
- JAMES CONNOR, Chairman and Chief Executive Office, Duke Realty
- JAMES D. TAICLET, JR., Chairman, President, and Chief Executive Officer, American Tower Corporation
- PETER VAN CAMP, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Equinix
STRATEGIC THINKING: Driving Value by Integrating New Technology and Staying
Ahead of Disruption
- JEFFRY D. HOROWITZ, Global Head of Real Estate, Gaming and Lodging Investment Banking, Bank of America Merrill Lynch [Moderator]
- RIC CLARK, Senior Managing Partner and Chairman, Brookfield Property Group and Brookfield Property Partners
- ANTHONY E. MALKIN, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Empire State Realty Trust
- GLENN J. RUFRANO, Chief Executive Officer, VEREIT
- MARTIN E. “HAP” STEIN, JR., Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Regency Centers
- OWEN D. THOMAS, Chief Executive Officer, Boston Properties
- THEODORE R. BIGMAN, Managing Director and Head of Global Listed Real Assets Investing, Morgan Stanley Investment Management
- JON Y. CHEIGH, Executive Vice President, Global Portfolio Manager, Cohen & Steers
- SHERRY L. REXROAD, Managing Director and Senior Product Strategist, BlackRock
LIVING IN AMERICA—Consolidation Trends Across Housing
- MICHAEL BILERMAN, Managing Director, Citi [Moderator]
- H. ERIC BOLTON, JR., Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Mid-America Apartment Communities
- IVAN KAUFMAN, President, Chairman, and Chief Executive Officer, Arbor Realty Trust
- MARGUERITE NADER, President and Chief Executive Officer, Equity LifeStyle Properties
- DAVID J. NEITHERCUT, President and Chief Executive Officer, Equity Residential
- FREDERICK C. TUOMI, Chief Executive Officer, Invitation Homes
CONFERENCE LUNCHEON ADDRESS AND BOOK SIGNING BY SAM ZELL
- ROBIN PANOVKA, Partner, Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz [Moderator]
- SAM ZELL, Chairman, Equity Group Investments, will talk about his latest book, AM I BEING TOO SUBTLE? Straight Talk from a Business Rebel
THINKING DIFFERENTLY DURING RAPIDLY CHANGING TIMES
- THOMAS A. GRIER, Global Head of Real Estate, Gaming & Lodging Investment Banking, J.P. Morgan Securities [Moderator]
- MICHAEL J. DEMARCO, Chief Executive Officer, Mack-Cali Realty Corporation
- CONOR C. FLYNN, Chief Executive Officer, Kimco Realty Corporation
- DAVID HELFAND, President and Chief Executive Officer, Equity Commonwealth
- JEFFREY S. OLSON, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Urban Edge Properties
- WENDY A. SILVERSTEIN, Chief Executive Officer, New York REIT
A CONVERSATION WITH MIKE KIRBY
- SAM CHANDAN, Larry & Klara Silverstein Chair in Real Estate Development & Investment and Associate Dean, NYUSPS Schack Institute of Real Estate [Moderator]
- MIKE KIRBY, Chairman and Director of Research, Green Street Advisors
CONSOLIDATION AND M&A: The Big Picture View
- MICHAEL J. GRAZIANO, Managing Director, Goldman, Sachs & Co. [Moderator]
- DEBRA A. CAFARO, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Ventas
- RONALD L. HAVNER, JR., Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Public Storage
- JOEL S. MARCUS, Chairman, Chief Executive Officer, and Founder, Alexandria Real Estate Equities
- RICHARD B. SALTZMAN, President and Chief Executive Officer, Colony NorthStar
- DONALD C. WOOD, President and Chief Executive Officer, Federal Realty Investment Trust
About the NYU School of Professional Studies Schack Institute of Real Estate
The NYU School of Professional Studies (NYUSPS) Schack Institute of Real Estate was founded in 1967 at the initiative of prominent members of the New York City real estate community, who encouraged NYU to establish an academic center that would provide a world-class education for industry professionals. Fifty years later, the Schack Institute is at the forefront of real estate education and is recognized globally as one of the world’s leading centers of real estate research and pedagogy. Across the Institute’s graduate degree programs—notably the MS in Real Estate, the MS in Construction Management, and the MS in Real Estate Development—as well as a rapidly expanding undergraduate degree program, enrollment has grown to nearly 1,000 full- and part-time students from across the United States and nearly 50 other countries. In addition to its flagship degree programs, thousands of working professionals enroll in the Schack Institute’s executive education, Diploma, and Career Advancement courses each year.
An anchor of real estate academia’s engagement with industry, the Institute is home to the REIT Center, the Center for the Sustainable Built Environment (SBE), and the newly established Urban Lab. In addition, the Institute hosts national industry events, including annual conferences on real estate capital markets and the REIT sector. Under the direction of the Schack Institute’s faculty members, ongoing applied research at the Institute spans an exceptional range of issues in real estate development and investment, urban economics, and market structure and regulation. For more information about the NYUSPS Schack Institute of Real Estate, visit sps.nyu.edu/schack.
About the NYU School of Professional Studies
Established in 1934, the NYU School of Professional Studies (sps.nyu.edu) is one of NYU’s several degree-granting schools and colleges, each with a unique academic profile. The reputation of the School of Professional Studies arises from its place as the NYU home for study and applied research related to key knowledge-based industries where the New York region leads globally. This is manifest in the School’s diverse graduate, undergraduate, and Professional Pathways programs in fields such as Accounting, Finance, and Law; Applied Health; Arts, Design, and Film; Creative Cities and Economic Development; English-Language Learning; Entrepreneurship; Fundraising and Grantmaking; Global Affairs; Hospitality and Tourism Management; Human Resource Management and Development; Languages and Humanities; Management and Systems; Marketing; Project Management; Public Relations and Corporate Communication; Publishing; Real Estate, Real Estate Development, and Construction Management; Sports Management, Media, and Business; Translation; and Writing.
More than 100 distinguished full-time faculty members collaborate with an exceptional cadre of practitioner/adjunct faculty members and lecturers to create a vibrant professional and academic environment that educates over 5,000 degree-seeking students from around the globe each year. In addition, the School fulfills the recurrent professional education needs of local, national, and international economies, as evidenced by nearly 28,000 Professional Pathways enrollments in Career Advancement Courses and Diploma Programs. The School’s community is enriched by more than 31,000 degree-holding alumni worldwide, many of whom serve as mentors, guest speakers, and advisory board members. For more information about the NYU School of Professional Studies, visit sps.nyu.edu.