NEW YORK, November 6, 2014 – The NYU School of Professional Studies Schack Institute of Real Estate (sps.nyu.edu/schack) will host its 47th Annual Conference on Capital Markets in Real Estate titled “The Millennial Real Estate Generation: Cyber Age Approach to Investing, Financing, Shopping, and Living” on Wednesday, November 19, 2014 at The Pierre.
Among the timely panel discussions on the agenda this year, the Conference will present its annual NYC: We Are the Golden Apple panel, which will focus on the challenges and opportunities for continued supremacy in real estate markets. As in previous years, this panel will feature New York City real estate heavyweights, including Gary Barnett, president and founder, Extell Development Company; James D. Kuhn, president, Newmark Grubb Knight Frank; William L. Mack, founder and chairman, Mack Real Estate Group; Stephen M. Ross, chairman and founder, Related Companies; William C. Rudin, vice chairman and chief executive officer, Rudin Management Company, Inc.; and Mary Ann Tighe, chief executive officer, New York Tri-State Region, CBRE, Inc. This panel will be moderated by Conference Chair Robert S. Blumenthal, managing director, Deutsche Bank Securities Inc.
In addition, five thought-provoking panels will cover various topics in real estate capital markets including trends in global financial markets, young drivers in real estate private equity, real estate law, the Millennial real estate generation, and the luxury residential high-rise real estate market boom, and will include high profile panelists such as Jared C. Kushner, chief executive officer, Kushner Companies; David A. Lehman, managing director and global head of real estate finance, Goldman, Sachs & Co.; Harry B. Macklowe, chairman, Macklowe Properties; Jonathan L. Mechanic, chairman of the Real Estate Department, Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP; Sam Nazarian, founder, chairman, and chief executive officer, SBE; Adam Neumann, co-founder and chief executive officer, Wework; Steven C. Witkoff, chairman, The Witkoff Group; William L. Zeckendorf, co-chairman, Zeckendorf Development, LLC, and co-chairman, Terra Holdings, LLC; and more. The Conference also will feature a presentation by NYU Global Research Professor Richard Florida defining how Millennials and creative talent are driving the rebirth of cities.
“Every year, Schack’s Capital Markets Conference gathers leaders in the industry to share insights and information that is relevant and timely for real estate professionals,” said Rosemary Scanlon, divisional dean of the NYU School of Professional Studies Schack Institute of Real Estate. “This year, our focus is on members of the Millennial generation and how they’re transforming the real estate landscape. We look forward to bringing a new perspective to our conference attendees.”
This year’s Conference Chair Robert S. Blumenthal, managing director, Deutsche Bank Securities Inc., will be joined by co-chairs Jeffrey A. Barclay, managing director, Goldman, Sachs & Co.; Richard A. Kessler, chief operating officer, Benenson Capital Partners, LLC; and Wendy Silverstein, executive vice president and co-head of acquisitions and capital markets, Vornado Realty Trust. All are executive committee members of Schack’s Advisory Board.
The Conference begins at 8 a.m. To register and to view the complete conference agenda, please visit: www.sps.nyu.edu/capital.
FULL PANEL LIST
The Young Drivers of Real Estate Private Equity: The Next Generation
- Tyler Henritze, Senior Managing Director, Blackstone (moderator)
- Avi Banyasz, Partner and Co-Head, TPG Real Estate
- Khaled W. Kudsi, Senior Managing Director, Northwood Investors LLC
- Jared C. Kushner, Chief Executive Officer, Kushner Companies
- William D. Rahm, Senior Managing Director, Centerbridge Partners, L.P.
Morning Keynote Panel: Billionaires Row: Sky High Residential in the City of Dreams
- David R. Greenbaum, President, New York Division, Vornado Realty Trust (moderator)
- Martin Fräss-Ehrfeld, Founder and Chairman, TCI Real Estate Partners; Adviser, The Children’s Investment Fund Management (UK) LLP
- Harry B. Macklowe, Chairman, Macklowe Properties
- Robert Vecsler, Executive Vice President, Silverstein Properties, Inc.
- Steven C. Witkoff, Chairman, The Witkoff Group
- William L. Zeckendorf, Co-Chairman, Zeckendorf Development, LLC; Co-Chairman, Terra Holdings, LLC
How Millennials and Creative Talent Are Driving The Rebirth Of Cities
- Richard Florida, Global Research Professor, New York University; Director, The Martin Prosperity Institute at the University of Toronto; Co-Founder and Editor, The Atlantic’s CityLab; Author, The Rise of the Creative Class Revisited
The Millennial Real Estate Generation: Disrupting Tradition?
- Wendy Silverstein, Executive Vice President and Co-Head - Acquisitions and Capital Markets, Vornado Realty Trust (moderator)
- Dean S. Adler, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Lubert-Adler Partners, L.P.
- Jeffrey Frieden, Chief Executive Officer and Co-Founder, Auction.com
- Sam Nazarian, Founder, Chairman, and Chief Executive Officer, SBE
- Adam Neumann, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Wework
The Consiglieres’ View: Legends of Real Estate Law
- Jeffrey A. Barclay, Managing Director, Goldman, Sachs & Co. (moderator)
- Leonard Boxer, Senior Partner and Chairman of the Real Estate Department, Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
- Robert J. Ivanhoe, Co-Chair, Global Real Estate Practice, Greenberg Traurig, LLP
- Jonathan L. Mechanic, Chairman of the Real Estate Department, Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
- Benjamin F. Needell, Partner, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
New York City Luncheon Panel: We Are The Golden Apple: Challenges And Opportunities For Continued Real Estate Supremacy
- Robert S. Blumenthal, Managing Director, Deutsche Bank Securities Inc. (moderator)
- Gary Barnett, President and Founder, Extell Development Company
- James D. Kuhn, President, Newmark Grubb Knight Frank
- William L. Mack, Founder and Chairman, Mack Real Estate Group
- Stephen M. Ross, Chairman and Founder, Related Companies
- William C. Rudin, Vice Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Rudin Management Company, Inc.
- Mary Ann Tighe, Chief Executive Officer, New York Tri-State Region, CBRE, Inc.
Afternoon Keynote Panel: Global Capital Flows: From the Decision Makers in the Real Estate Financing Markets
- Jonathan Pollack, Global Head of Commercial Real Estate and Head of Risk – Structured Finance, Deutsche Bank Securities Inc. (moderator)
- Mark Finerman, President, LoanCore Capital, LLC; Chief Executive Officer, Jefferies LoanCore LLC
- David A. Lehman, Managing Director and Global Head of Real Estate Finance, Goldman, Sachs & Co.
- Robert R. Merck, Senior Managing Director, Head of Global Real Estate, MetLife, Inc.
- Michael Nash, Senior Managing Director, Blackstone
- Anthony Orso, Co-Chief Executive Officer and Co-Founder, Cantor Commercial Real Estate Company, L.P.
- Geoffrey Souter, Managing Director, Private Real Estate Debt, Canada Pension Plan Investment Board
About the NYU School of Professional Studies Schack Institute of Real Estate
The NYU School of Professional Studies Schack Institute of Real Estate (sps.nyu.edu/schack) was founded in 1967 at the initiative of prominent real estate leaders, who encouraged NYU to establish an academic center that provided an educational foundation for professionals within their industry. Today, the Schack Institute of Real Estate offers graduate degrees—notably the M.S. in Real Estate, the M.S. in Construction Management, and the M.S. in Real Estate Development—as well as graduate certificates in real estate and construction management, all of which enroll nearly 700 full- and part-time students from more than 30 countries, with over 3,500 graduates around the globe. In September 2013, the Schack Institute launched a new undergraduate degree – the B.S. in Real Estate.
Each year, approximately 4,200 working professionals enroll in the Schack Institute’s certificate programs, noncredit courses, intensives, and licensure-related offerings in such areas as real estate finance, sales and brokerage, sustainable design, facilities management, and architecture and civil engineering. The Institute also is home to the REIT Center and the Center for the Sustainable Built Environment, and hosts key industry events, including annual conferences on real estate capital markets and REITs. The Schack Institute of Real Estate is one of several academic divisions within the School of Professional Studies, which offers a broad range of professionally focused undergraduate, graduate, and noncredit offerings.